Macro Dragon: Welcome to WK # 25...
Summary: Macro Dragon = Cross-Asset Daily Views that could cover anything from tactical positioning, to long-term thematic investments, key events & inflection points in the markets, all with the objective of consistent wealth creation overtime.
Macro Dragon: Welcome to WK # 25...
Top of Mind…
- Happy Monday Folks & Welcome to WK # 25… What kind of week are you trying to have?
- Quick snapshot of the wk ahead will likely be focused on Powell, Clarida as well as decisions out of BoJ & likely more importantly SNB. We’ll get the first speech from BoC’s new governor Macklem. There is also a flock of EM CB’s meeting this wk including Chile, Brazil, Indonesia, Russia & Taiwan.
- Most important known unknowns is likely to be the EU meetings discussing the 750bn euros – the so called “frugal” four vs. the German-Franco-Italiano block.
- Technicals & Charts: Overall chart action over the wkd suggests to KVP quite a bit of divergence between daily & hourly charts, most daily suggesting MR towards more risk-of & USD strength... yet the hrly trying to say we likely already saw that start to correct on Fri...
- A few other things that were noted... AUD & NZD... much closer to resistance with support being miles away...
- NOK had a pretty decent correction last wk, in fact the G10 worst vs. USD.... -3.4% vs. say CAD -1.2%.... hmm....
- Looks like overall skews of favoring Gold, JPY & CHF into FOMC as being asymmetrical have played out well... as of last wk were +2.7%, +2.1% & +1.0% vs. USD
- Copper interestingly enough still did very well last wk, despite of the rock-roll prior bullish wk... i.e. +1.7% & +5.4%...
- Bonds - especially TY1 & Bunds prices had a massive reversal upwards last wk... JGBs & CGBs lagging...
- Equities - huge weekly inverse hammers with AMZN & TSLA (generally bearish indicator), those wicks are longer than a US unemployment line... interestingly things like NFLX have been broken down for a while... whilst your Zooms similar to Amazon & Tesla went on to make ATH last wk
- Economic data: Econ data is relatively light outside of China’s monthly growth numbers, Australia’s monthly jobs numbers & New Zealand quarterly inflation data. We got some monthly inflation figures out of the UK, CA & EZ… retail sales out of the US, UK & CA… with the rest being a mixed bag. Worth noting there is a lot of bond auctions this wk
- Central Banks: Japan, UK, Chile, Brazil, Indonesia, Taiwan, Russia
- Holidays: No major markets out
- US: Empire State, Retail Sales, Cap. Util, IP, Housing data, Philly Fed, Current Account
- CH: All three - Fixed Asset Investments, IP & Retail Sales have missed expectations
- EZ: Trade Balance, GER ZEW, Final CPI, ECB Economic Bulletin, Current Account
- JP: BoJ, Tertiary Industry Activity, Trade Balance, National Core CPI
- UK: BoE, AHE, CPI, House Prices, Retail Sales
- AU: RBA Mins, Jobs Data
- NZ: GDP Q/Q, Visitor Arrivals, Milk Auction
- CA: Mfg. Sales, CPI, ADP, House Prices, Retail Sales
Start-End = Gratitude+Integrity+Vision. Create Luck. Process > Outcome. Sizing > Idea.
Latest Market Insights
Quarterly Outlook Q3 2022: The Runaway Train
- Central banks' attempts to kill inflation is a paradigm shift, which could end in a deep recession.
Tangible assets and profitable growth are the winnersWith US equities officially in a bear market, the big question is where and when is the bottom in the current drawdown?
Understanding the lack of investment appetite among oil majorsThe everything rally seen in recent quarters has become more uneven, as its strength is driven by commodities in short supply.
The pressure is on as the wind leaves the sailsWith cryptocurrencies in sharp decline, are we entering a crypto winter or is the bear market a healthy clean-up of the crypto space?
Why the Fed can never catch up and what turns the US dollar lower?Many other central banks are set to eventually outpace the Fed in hiking rates, taking their real interest rates to levels higher than the Fed will achieve.
Bank of Japan: Swimming against the tideThe Japanese economy has gone from the age of deflation to rapidly rising prices in no time, leaving the Bank of Japan in a pickle.
Green transformation detour and bear market hibernationWith the impending risk of global econonomic derailment, we share the five things investors need to consider in this new half year.
Crisis redux for the eurozone?Whether there's going to be a recession in Europe or not, the path towards a stable economy will be agonizing.
Technical Outlook: Gold, Oil and a remarkable multi-decade perspective on EquitiesThe Nasdaq bubble pattern, USDJPY resistance, crude oil uptrend losing steam and the technical outlook for USD.
China: the train of new development paradigm left the station two years agoChina is transiting to a new development paradigm, as they are hit by deteriorating terms of trade, a slower global economy and an uncertain future while continuing attempts to contain the pandemic.
Please read our disclaimers:
- Notification on Non-Independent Investment Research (https://www.home.saxo/legal/niird/notification)
- Full disclaimer (https://www.home.saxo/en-gb/legal/disclaimer/saxo-disclaimer)