Macro Dragon: Equities Divergence, Technical Check in on the divergence on AirBnB [ABNB], Compass Pathways [CMPS] & Beyond Meat [BYND]
Summary: Macro Dragon = Cross-Asset Quasi-Daily Views that could cover anything from tactical positioning, to long-term thematic investments, key events & inflection points in the markets, all with the objective of consistent wealth creation overtime.
Macro Dragon: Technical Check-in on the Equities Divergences on AirBnB [ABNB], Compass Pathways [CMPS] & Beyond Meat [BYND]
Top of Mind…
- As KVP gets back in the game, its been flagged by our world class Global Sales Trading Team - that we need more equity focus pieces for our clients... so we are just gonna check into three names that we've covered on the Macro Dragon before
- As always, be wary of any equity analyst talking about equites, let alone the Macro Dude talking about equities... :)
- Let’s start with the underperformer, BYND – which the Dragon has been covering for a whilst, since it actually listed. The Macro Skew on this was covered in Aug 2020; Erns Watch: Beyond Meat, Alternative Protein Theme & Macro Sins - which touched on the Alternative Protein Space from a Meta Perspective.
- KVP still has to catch-up with the latest fundamentals – previous quarter saw them continuing to invest in R&D & rebooting their European strategy, shifting from a partnership to driving it themselves. Next scheduled earnings date is after market on the Nov 10th
- The chart & stock price has been ugly for the bulls & a delight for the bears – the 1Q spike was the GameStop/WSB/SME squeeze, followed by a similar smaller wave in the end of 2Q.
- Low for the year is $91.55 lvls, with key resistance likely being in the $120-130 range, from these $102 lvls. Its worth noting the short-interest as a % of the float is c. 28%, with c. 8x to cover as of 14 days ago. So we could see some shorts being covered as we approach the earnings date & a squeeze if there is an upbeat surprise. BYND has had 4 consecutive negative months where it has dropped from 157.49 to 98.98 for the close of Oct, that’s a -37% fall.
- On the other hand, in just 1m alone Compass Pathways [CMPS] is up over +55%, in an example of where patience has paid off. We’ve touched on CMPS since its listing last year; Macro Dragon: Putting Compass on the Map... Mycelium, Magic Mushrooms + Psychedelics for Medicine & Treatment - with the key catalyst always being 2H21 on the results of the clinical trials.
- The chart is breaking out big time past $40 previous resistance lvl. At $46.66, the next likely key lvls to test will be $50 & the all time high of c. $62. This is not a chart that KVP would be short, unless there was a specific event-driven catalyst as a play. Its worth noting that CMPS is set to report on Nov 12.
- Lastly with at least no near-term earnings risk, we had AirBnB[ABNB] reporting yesterday, whilst it close dup +3.2% at 178.45, the results were post market & its currently looking indicated at 184.60/185.00, a c. +3-4% uplift on yest.’s close.
- The likely next key lvl to test on ABNB is $200, with support being offering at the $160 lvl. It will be interesting to see how it trades on this NFP Friday. Good wkd folks.
Start<>End = Gratitude + Integrity + Vision + Tenacity | Process > Outcome | Sizing > Position.
This is The Way
Latest Market Insights
Quarterly Outlook Q3 2022: The Runaway Train
- Central banks' attempts to kill inflation is a paradigm shift, which could end in a deep recession.
Tangible assets and profitable growth are the winnersWith US equities officially in a bear market, the big question is where and when is the bottom in the current drawdown?
Understanding the lack of investment appetite among oil majorsThe everything rally seen in recent quarters has become more uneven, as its strength is driven by commodities in short supply.
The pressure is on as the wind leaves the sailsWith cryptocurrencies in sharp decline, are we entering a crypto winter or is the bear market a healthy clean-up of the crypto space?
Why the Fed can never catch up and what turns the US dollar lower?Many other central banks are set to eventually outpace the Fed in hiking rates, taking their real interest rates to levels higher than the Fed will achieve.
Bank of Japan: Swimming against the tideThe Japanese economy has gone from the age of deflation to rapidly rising prices in no time, leaving the Bank of Japan in a pickle.
Green transformation detour and bear market hibernationWith the impending risk of global econonomic derailment, we share the five things investors need to consider in this new half year.
Crisis redux for the eurozone?Whether there's going to be a recession in Europe or not, the path towards a stable economy will be agonizing.
Technical Outlook: Gold, Oil and a remarkable multi-decade perspective on EquitiesThe Nasdaq bubble pattern, USDJPY resistance, crude oil uptrend losing steam and the technical outlook for USD.
China: the train of new development paradigm left the station two years agoChina is transiting to a new development paradigm, as they are hit by deteriorating terms of trade, a slower global economy and an uncertain future while continuing attempts to contain the pandemic.