Erik Schafhauser Zürich Erik Schafhauser Zürich Erik Schafhauser Zürich

Morning Brew May 4 2022

Morning Brew 1 minute to read
Erik Schafhauser

Senior Relationship Manager

Summary:  The Day Traders have been waiting for

Good Morning,

Today will be a key day for the USD and Equities.

At 20:00 CET the FOMC will announce the Fed Fund Rate and a hike of 50 bps is expected with a 91% likelihood and 9% for 75 BPS. The difference between Inflation and the Fed fund rate has never been this large – the Fed is clearly behind the curve . The Decision and the following press conference will be the key events of the day.

This will likely make or break the markets as we are at decisive levels in the USD, Precious Metals and also Equities are looking for direction.  God and Silver stabilized at low levels – 1864 and 22.55, the USD Index remains near 20 Year highs. For a more detailed technical update for gold and silver from Kim Cramer, our technical analyst, please click here

Equities move little yesterday and with all 3 US Indexes closing within 1% and the dax remains trapped around the 14000.

Oil moved a little higher over on news the EU is looking to stop importing Russian Oil in 6-9 months

The Bund Future lost a full point over night to trade at 152.60 and the US 10 Year remains at 3%.

Peter wrote a great article on Nutiren and it`s competitors:

Nutrien earnings in focus as food prices could destroy confidence: Food prices are up 34% y/y in March and potash (one of the ingredients in modern fertilizers) prices in North America are up 330% from the lows in 2020. Combined with high natural gas prices and various exports restrictions on phosphate the price on fertilizer is going through the roof causing lower crop yields and less profitability for farmers creating an ugly dynamic for food prices this year and potentially next year. We take a look at the underlying factors driving fertilizer prices and highlights the different companies within this theme.

Besides the FOMC we are expecting: 

  • International PMIs: Germany 9:55, EU 10:00, US 15:45
  • EU Retail Sales 11:00
  • US and Canadian trade Data at 14:30.

Consider your risk and exposure going into the FOMC, it will be a high risk event with the potential for sharp moves during the release as well as in the press conference.

Physically Settled Futures:
CK2 will expire on 6th May at 09:00 GMT.

FPK2 will expire on 11th May at 15:00 GMT.

Expiring CFDs:

GASOILUKMAY22 will expire on 10th May at 15:00 GMT.

OILUSJUN22 will expire on 18th May at 15:00 GMT.



The Saxo Bank Group entities each provide execution-only service and access to Analysis permitting a person to view and/or use content available on or via the website. This content is not intended to and does not change or expand on the execution-only service. Such access and use are at all times subject to (i) The Terms of Use; (ii) Full Disclaimer; (iii) The Risk Warning; (iv) the Rules of Engagement and (v) Notices applying to Saxo News & Research and/or its content in addition (where relevant) to the terms governing the use of hyperlinks on the website of a member of the Saxo Bank Group by which access to Saxo News & Research is gained. Such content is therefore provided as no more than information. In particular no advice is intended to be provided or to be relied on as provided nor endorsed by any Saxo Bank Group entity; nor is it to be construed as solicitation or an incentive provided to subscribe for or sell or purchase any financial instrument. All trading or investments you make must be pursuant to your own unprompted and informed self-directed decision. As such no Saxo Bank Group entity will have or be liable for any losses that you may sustain as a result of any investment decision made in reliance on information which is available on Saxo News & Research or as a result of the use of the Saxo News & Research. Orders given and trades effected are deemed intended to be given or effected for the account of the customer with the Saxo Bank Group entity operating in the jurisdiction in which the customer resides and/or with whom the customer opened and maintains his/her trading account. Saxo News & Research does not contain (and should not be construed as containing) financial, investment, tax or trading advice or advice of any sort offered, recommended or endorsed by Saxo Bank Group and should not be construed as a record of our trading prices, or as an offer, incentive or solicitation for the subscription, sale or purchase in any financial instrument. To the extent that any content is construed as investment research, you must note and accept that the content was not intended to and has not been prepared in accordance with legal requirements designed to promote the independence of investment research and as such, would be considered as a marketing communication under relevant laws.

Please read our disclaimers:
Notification on Non-Independent Investment Research (
Full disclaimer (
Full disclaimer (

Saxo Bank A/S (Headquarters)
Philip Heymans Alle 15

Contact Saxo

Select region


Trade responsibly
All trading carries risk. Read more. To help you understand the risks involved we have put together a series of Key Information Documents (KIDs) highlighting the risks and rewards related to each product. Read more

This website can be accessed worldwide however the information on the website is related to Saxo Bank A/S and is not specific to any entity of Saxo Bank Group. All clients will directly engage with Saxo Bank A/S and all client agreements will be entered into with Saxo Bank A/S and thus governed by Danish Law.

Apple and the Apple logo are trademarks of Apple Inc, registered in the US and other countries and regions. App Store is a service mark of Apple Inc. Google Play and the Google Play logo are trademarks of Google LLC.