US Election Check-In Asia Morning: More Noise than Signal...
Summary: Macro Dragon = Cross-Asset Daily Views that could cover anything from tactical positioning, to long-term thematic investments, key events & inflection points in the markets, all with the objective of consistent wealth creation overtime.
US Election Check-In Asia Morning: More Noise than Signal... Could Texas be a game changer for either?
Top of Mind…
Obviously early days, yet early indications show a lot more noise before we get a clear signal
Great points below from John here at the crazy 0330 local time
"2020 Election Night status before I turn in for a couple of hours sleep:
- Trump is winning Florida by larger margin than 2016 (won then by 1.2%, with 93% in it is at 3.0% in his favour and likely to tilt more R with remaining vote), with huge shift in Miami area the key shift
- North Carolina (went for Trump by 3 points in 2016) in Biden’s favour with almost 80% precincts counted, but margin shrinking fast and NY Times leans strongly for Trump to win there
- If Florida situation is specific to Miami and Cuban voters, there is still a narrow path for Biden, but contested election/narrow win looks like his best bet – will be a long wait for results if it is about Michigan, Pennsylvania, Wisconsin again.
- Will maybe come down to Pennsylvania and Arizona if Trump takes Florida, Ohio and North Carolina"
So Florida is looking too close & NC indicating that despite Biden's initial lead, balance of the count could favor Trump towards the same signal (or lack thereof) of Florida.
Currently it looks like the only thing that can take the mkt from a clear & smooth pathway is a big Biden win in Texas
Otherwise we may have to count every last bean… & could be in for quite a spell
Remember from a near-term markets' perspective – its less about a Biden or Trump victory… but a bigger margin that points towards a quicker outcome
Currently 1045 SGT 2145 ET 0345 CET – the AP is showing us 131 for Biden vs. 92 for Trump…
Remember Texas is 38 points
Latest Market Insights
Q4 Outlook 2022: Winter is coming
- Winter is coming to the financial markets as central banks are tightening their grip. How spring will look is still a question.
European energy crisis: it will get worse before it gets betterThe winter in Europe will be tough, but whether the result is political chaos or sustainable, innovative solutions is still undecided.
A difficult and volatile quarter awaitsAs the year draws to an end, commodities continue to be at centre stage of the world with growth pockets political uncertainty.
The bright side: crises drive innovationThe positive spin on crises is that they come with solutions. It is worrisome that deglobalisation may be a response to this crisis.
Green transformation in China: renewable energy and beyondGoing green, China needs to span numerous energy sources to ensure stability, as every source comes with a challenge.
Asia: Intermittent solutions, but a faster renewable adoption curveAsian energy supply is being squeezed. This and the adoption of renewables may change the investment sentiment in the region.
FX: A Fed thaw needed to deliver a sustained USD turn lowerThe US Dollar can keep momentum when the Federal Reserve continues to tighten, leaving the rest to play to their drum.
Autumn can become ugly for equities and bond holders. Comfort for Dollar longsTechnical analysis suggests that equities could face a tough Q4 as could fixed income. US Dollar positions could provide some upside.
The next stock market sector to watch, with stocks going nuclearAs the world scrambles to find affordable, sustainable energy, nuclear is getting attention from politicians and investors alike.
The crypto space is getting cold when the hype disappearsCryptocurrencies face a winter of their own as retail investors and governments are asking tough questions.