Macro Dragon: Welcome to WK # 41, China is out, VP Debate In, RBA, FOMC Mins, New Month, Final Quarter
Summary: Macro Dragon = Cross-Asset Daily Views that could cover anything from tactical positioning, to long-term thematic investments, key events & inflection points in the markets, all with the objective of consistent wealth creation overtime.
Macro Dragon: WK # 41, China out, VP Debate In, RBA, FOMC Mins, New Month = Final Quarter = New POTUS
Top of Mind…
- Happy Monday Folks & Welcome to WK # 41…
- Hope everyone had an epic restful weekend
- What kind of week are you trying to have up ahead?
- Focus: Well folks, basically a month to the pivotal US election day, so VP debate between Harris & Pence may be the only actual “debate”, despite us still having two more meet-ups scheduled between Trump & Biden. Worth noting Harris is a prosecutor by background & Pence’s speeches have tended to be cardboard tasty.
- It’s worth noting, the debates are not mandated by the constitution & part of the Dragon’s ring-side coaching to one of the teams is to bin one of the debates, among other advice going forward.
- Markets: New Month, Final Quarter means the potential noise in price action of last wk is out of the way. We could potentially be going back into a sustained run of risk-assets doing well & the USD being sold – i.e. its seems to be so consensus that its going to get volatile on the election outcome, that KVP is starting to think that pathway is going to get priced out.
- Economics: Final Service PMIs across the board, including US ISM Non-mfg PMI. We got some industrial production data out of Europe including German Factory orders. The US will see Trade Balance, JOLTS & the usual weekly jobs data (ticked lower last wk)
- Politics: VP Debate Wed 7 Oct – Its going down! Harris is going to go through Pence like a Vegan on a Meat Lover.
- Central Banks: RBA 0.25 % e/p
- ECB’s Lagarde set to speak on Tue 6 Oct 21:00 SGT & Wed 20:00 SGT
- Also have BoE’s Bailey Thu @ 15:25 SGT & BoC Macklem Thu @ 2-:30 SGT
- Fed Speak: Evans, Bostic, Powell Tue 6 Oct @ 22:40 SGT, Harker, Kaplan, Rosengren, Williams
- FOMC Minutes due early Thu Asia, Wed evening ET US - likely nothing new here… yet obviously if YCC is coming back in focus & concerns about a slowdown in fiscal support may move markets.
- Holidays: China has been out since last Thu & only gets back in on Fri this wk
- Other: We got daylights saving time shift in Australia over the wkd, taking us back to 3hrs with SG from 2.
Start-to-End = Gratitude + Integrity + Vision + Tenacity |Process > Outcome | Sizing > Idea.
This is the wayKVP
Latest Market Insights
Quarterly Outlook Q3 2022: The Runaway Train
- Central banks' attempts to kill inflation is a paradigm shift, which could end in a deep recession.
Tangible assets and profitable growth are the winnersWith US equities officially in a bear market, the big question is where and when is the bottom in the current drawdown?
Understanding the lack of investment appetite among oil majorsThe everything rally seen in recent quarters has become more uneven, as its strength is driven by commodities in short supply.
The pressure is on as the wind leaves the sailsWith cryptocurrencies in sharp decline, are we entering a crypto winter or is the bear market a healthy clean-up of the crypto space?
Why the Fed can never catch up and what turns the US dollar lower?Many other central banks are set to eventually outpace the Fed in hiking rates, taking their real interest rates to levels higher than the Fed will achieve.
Bank of Japan: Swimming against the tideThe Japanese economy has gone from the age of deflation to rapidly rising prices in no time, leaving the Bank of Japan in a pickle.
Green transformation detour and bear market hibernationWith the impending risk of global econonomic derailment, we share the five things investors need to consider in this new half year.
Crisis redux for the eurozone?Whether there's going to be a recession in Europe or not, the path towards a stable economy will be agonizing.
Technical Outlook: Gold, Oil and a remarkable multi-decade perspective on EquitiesThe Nasdaq bubble pattern, USDJPY resistance, crude oil uptrend losing steam and the technical outlook for USD.
China: the train of new development paradigm left the station two years agoChina is transiting to a new development paradigm, as they are hit by deteriorating terms of trade, a slower global economy and an uncertain future while continuing attempts to contain the pandemic.