Macro chat with Saxo CIO Steen Jakobsen
Senior Editor, Saxo Bank
Summary: Join Saxo’s Chief Economist, Steen Jakobsen, and Head of FX Strategy John J Hardy, for the first edition of our new podcast series exploring the most important macroeconomic themes currently influencing the world’s financial markets and the likely trajectory of developments in the months ahead.
• How the Sino-US trade war may ultimately end with a “non-solution” outcome that would actually be beneficial to both Trump and Xi.
• Why the stable course of the CNY during this trade spat leaves markets dangerously complacent that low volatility will linger.
• Whether the Federal Reserve is now behind the curve or ahead of it with its monetary policy.
• Why the plight of the German car industry will finally force the EU into fiscal action and how the current political uncertainty in the bloc will change the conversation from a bigger Europe to a better Europe.
• Why the Brexit dilemma can’t be solved until UK prime minister May steps down and why there will have to be a second referendum.
• How the Brexit endgame will likely extend beyond the current Halloween deadline and why this is negative for sterling.
• How – and in which asset classes – investors should reposition their portfolios to reflect a period of relative stability over the summer months, followed by autumn volatility as governments start to panic.