Global Market Quick Take: Asia – September 27, 2023 Global Market Quick Take: Asia – September 27, 2023 Global Market Quick Take: Asia – September 27, 2023

Global Market Quick Take: Asia – September 27, 2023

Macro 4 minutes to read
APAC Strategy Team

Summary:  The S&P 500 and Nasdaq 100 fell 1.5% amid weaker new home sales, consumer confidence, and elevated bond yields. Amazon dropped 4% due to an antitrust lawsuit. The DXY dollar index reached YTD highs above 105.80. USDCAD rose to 1.3520 while GBPUSD slid below 1.2150 and the next target at 1.20. Gold tested $1900 amid rising yields, while Copper hit 4-month lows. The Hang Seng Index and CSI300 declined as news of China Evergrande's bond repayment failure weighed.

The Saxo Quick Take is a short, distilled opinion on financial markets with references to key news and events. 

US Equities: The S&P 500 and Nasdaq 100 tumbled by 1.5% due to softer readings on new home sales and the Conference Board consumer confidence survey, triggering selling in consumer discretionary and information technology. Amazon, impacted by news of an antitrust lawsuit, plummeted by 4%. Elevated bond yields also continued to weigh on market sentiment.

Fixed income: Treasury yields continued to hover at elevated levels, with the 30-year yield edging up by 2bps to 4.68%, while the 2-year and 10-year yields held steady at 5.12% and 4.54%, respectively. The selling pressure was particularly concentrated in the longer end of the curve as the high yield levels attracted strong demand in the 2-year auction.

China/HK Equities: The Hang Seng Index and CSI300 sank once again. The news that Hengda Real Estate Group, the mainland unit of China Evergrande, failed to make payments of RMB4 billion in principal and interest due yesterday further dampened market sentiment. The Hang Seng Index plummeted 1.5% to 17,467, marking a new low in 2023. The CSI300 slid 0.6%.

FX: The DXY dollar index broke higher to fresh YTD highs, having taken out the 105.80 resistance, as high-end Treasury yields continued to rise. Data remained soft, helping keep the short-end yields capped but Fed member Kashkari, who is usually a dove, noting he puts a 40% probability on a scenario where Fed will have to raise rates significantly higher to beat inflation and a 60% probability of a soft landing. USDCAD rose to 1.3520 while GBPUSD slid below 1.2150 and next target at 1.20. EURUSD plunged further to lows of 1.0562 while USDJPY is hovering close to the 150-mark and verbal jawboning continues to have little effect.

Commodities: The message on higher-for-longer was felt in the crude market as oil prices dipped earlier in the session with WTI falling to lows of ~$88/barrel and Brent going below $92. API inventory data also showed a crude build of 1.586 million barrels last week vs. expectations of a 1.65 million drop, but oil prices recovered later. Gold tests $1900 amid yield surge and Copper down to fresh 4-month lows at $3.62.


  • US consumer confidence fell for a second consecutive month to 103.0 from 108.7 (upwardly revised from 106.1) and beneath the expected 105.5. Present Situation Index marginally rose to 147.1 (prev. 146.7), while the Expectations Index declined further to 73.7 (prev. 83.3), falling back below 80 - the level that historically signals a recession within the next year. Inflation expectations for the 12 months ahead were unchanged at 5.7% in September.
  • New home sales in the US fell 8.7% to 675k from 739k (upwardly revised from 714k), shy of the consensus 700k.
  • Fed's Kashkari has published an essay where he says there is a 60% chance of a soft landing with a 40% chance the Fed will have to hike 'significantly higher'.

Macro events:  BoJ Minutes (Jul), US Durable Goods (Aug)

In the news:

  • FTC Sues Amazon, Alleging Illegal Online-Marketplace Monopoly (WSJ)
  • Foreign brands including Tesla to face scrutiny as part of EU probe into China car subsidies (FT)
  • Senate leaders agree on a short-term spending bill, aiming to avert a shutdown, extending government funding until November 17, pending House approval (CNN).

For all macro, earnings, and dividend events check Saxo’s calendar.

For a global look at markets – go to Inspiration.



The Saxo Bank Group entities each provide execution-only service and access to Analysis permitting a person to view and/or use content available on or via the website. This content is not intended to and does not change or expand on the execution-only service. Such access and use are at all times subject to (i) The Terms of Use; (ii) Full Disclaimer; (iii) The Risk Warning; (iv) the Rules of Engagement and (v) Notices applying to Saxo News & Research and/or its content in addition (where relevant) to the terms governing the use of hyperlinks on the website of a member of the Saxo Bank Group by which access to Saxo News & Research is gained. Such content is therefore provided as no more than information. In particular no advice is intended to be provided or to be relied on as provided nor endorsed by any Saxo Bank Group entity; nor is it to be construed as solicitation or an incentive provided to subscribe for or sell or purchase any financial instrument. All trading or investments you make must be pursuant to your own unprompted and informed self-directed decision. As such no Saxo Bank Group entity will have or be liable for any losses that you may sustain as a result of any investment decision made in reliance on information which is available on Saxo News & Research or as a result of the use of the Saxo News & Research. Orders given and trades effected are deemed intended to be given or effected for the account of the customer with the Saxo Bank Group entity operating in the jurisdiction in which the customer resides and/or with whom the customer opened and maintains his/her trading account. Saxo News & Research does not contain (and should not be construed as containing) financial, investment, tax or trading advice or advice of any sort offered, recommended or endorsed by Saxo Bank Group and should not be construed as a record of our trading prices, or as an offer, incentive or solicitation for the subscription, sale or purchase in any financial instrument. To the extent that any content is construed as investment research, you must note and accept that the content was not intended to and has not been prepared in accordance with legal requirements designed to promote the independence of investment research and as such, would be considered as a marketing communication under relevant laws.

Please read our disclaimers:
- Notification on Non-Independent Investment Research (
- Full disclaimer (

Saxo Markets
40 Bank Street, 26th floor
E14 5DA
United Kingdom

Contact Saxo

Select region

United Kingdom
United Kingdom

Trade Responsibly
All trading carries risk. To help you understand the risks involved we have put together a series of Key Information Documents (KIDs) highlighting the risks and rewards related to each product. Read more
Additional Key Information Documents are available in our trading platform.

Saxo Markets is a registered Trading Name of Saxo Capital Markets UK Ltd (‘SCML’). SCML is authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority, Firm Reference Number 551422. Registered address: 26th Floor, 40 Bank Street, Canary Wharf, London E14 5DA. Company number 7413871. Registered in England & Wales.

This website, including the information and materials contained in it, are not directed at, or intended for distribution to or use by, any person or entity who is a citizen or resident of or located in the United States, Belgium or any other jurisdiction where such distribution, publication, availability or use would be contrary to applicable law or regulation.

It is important that you understand that with investments, your capital is at risk. Past performance is not a guide to future performance. It is your responsibility to ensure that you make an informed decision about whether or not to invest with us. If you are still unsure if investing is right for you, please seek independent advice. Saxo Markets assumes no liability for any loss sustained from trading in accordance with a recommendation.

Apple, iPad and iPhone are trademarks of Apple Inc., registered in the U.S. and other countries. App Store is a service mark of Apple Inc. Android is a trademark of Google Inc.