What's in store for gold, post-FOMC?
Head of Commodity Strategy
Following the seventh US rate hike this cycle and with the promise of two more before year-end, I see the potential for the gold focus turning more supportive.
• The dollar rally is showing signs of running out of steam.
• The US yield curve is likely to continue to flatten as short-term yields rise while long-end prices stay supported (due to emerging market worries and trade wars).
• Even if bond yields move higher, rising inflation expectations may keep real yields rangebound as breakevens move higher.
• Hedge fund positions are near a two-year low while total holdings in ETFs have recently seen a drop from a five-year high.
Look out for silver, which may prove to be the proverbial canary in the coal mine as it challenges resistance above $17/oz and a trendline dating from last September.
Gold needs to clear $1,308/oz, its 200-day moving average, in order to attract renewed “paper” demand through futures and ETFs. A break above $1,308/oz could see prices initially return to an area between $1,323/oz. and $1,333/oz.
Latest Market Insights
Quarterly Outlook Q2 2022: The End Game has arrived
- Shocks from covid and the war in Ukraine have forced the global financial and political world to change, but what will the end game be?
Productivity and innovation have never been more importantAs the world economy hits physical limits and central banks tighten their belts, could equities be facing a 10-15% downside?
The great EUR recovery and the difficulty of trading itIf the terrible fog of war hopefully lifts soon, the conditions are promising for the euro to reprice significantly higher.
Tight commodity markets – turbocharged by war and sanctionsWith supply already tight, commodities keep powering on. But will it last for yet another quarter?
Between a rock and a hard placeGeopolitical concerns will add upward price pressures and fears of slower growth, while volatility will remain elevated.
The Great ErosionInflation is everywhere and central banks try to combat it. But will they get it under control in time?
Australian investing: Six considerations amid triple Rs: rising rates, record inflation and likely recessionWhile global financial markets are struggling in an uncertain world, the commodity-heavy Australian ASX index is poised to keep a positive momentum.
Cybersecurity – the rush to catch up with realityWith the invasion of Ukraine, governments and private companies are rushing to reinforce their cyber defenses.
Please read our disclaimers:
- Notification on Non-Independent Investment Research (https://www.home.saxo/legal/niird/notification)
- Full disclaimer (https://www.home.saxo/en-gb/legal/disclaimer/saxo-disclaimer)