Erik Schafhauser Zürich Erik Schafhauser Zürich Erik Schafhauser Zürich

Morning Brew September 20 2022

Morning Brew 1 minute to read
Erik
Erik Schafhauser

Senior Relationship Manager

Summary:  Seesawing ahead of the FOMC


Good Morning

Markets are seesawing ahead of the central bank decisions, here are the probabilities as of right now:

Fed:  +0.75% with 81% Probability, 1% with 19% probability

SNB: +0.75% with 53% Probability, 1% with 46% probability

BoE: +0.5% with 69% Probability, 0.75% with 31% probability

Initially risk came under pressure yesterday but could recover through late trading and overnight.

The GER40 fell to 12600 before rising 300 points to 12900, all three US Indexes gain around 0.7% and all eyes are on the FOMC. Outlier was the healthcare sector, that fell a little lower on president Biden`s declaration that the Corona epidemic was over.

Along overall sentiment, the USD gave up ground and the USD Index fell to 109.60. EURUSD is back above parity, GBPUSD rose to 1.1434, USDJPY remains at 143.35. Gold gained to 1672 and Silver 19.45.

China left rates unchanged as expected.

The Japanese CPI remains high at 2.8% and is seen to rise to 3% in October but there is no action expected from the Bank of Japan. The BoJ set`s rates in the night from Wednesday to Thursday but no change is expected with 97.6% probability.

In the US , confidence of Home Builders fell again and remains “Poor” at below 50. Cause are the Mortgage rates, that continue to rise:  . The 30-year fixed mortgage rate was above 6% last week for the first time since 2008.

Bitcoin felt to 18283 yesterday before recovering to 19400,  ETH traded as low as 1281 before rising to 1365

The Market will be dominated by the FOMC and any possible comments from central bankers. The Germans PPI Canadian CPI or US Building permits would have to come as a real surprise to move markets. 0.75% or 1% by the FOMC is the  forefront of traders’ minds, Investors are not likely to enter the market before Thursday when the picture is a little less muddy.

Expiries

        Physically Settled Futures:

Light Sweet Crude Oil (WTI) - Oct 2022 (CLV2) will expire 20th Sep 15:00 GMT

Platinum - Oct 2022 (PLV2) will expire 22nd Sep 15:00 GMT

Expiring CFDs:

PLATINUMOCT22 will expire 21st Sep 15:00 GMT

Quarterly Outlook 2024 Q3

Sandcastle economics

01 / 05

  • 350x200 peter

    Macro: Sandcastle economics

    Invest wisely in Q3 2024: Discover SaxoStrats' insights on navigating a stable yet fragile global economy.

    Read article
  • 350x200 althea

    Bonds: What to do until inflation stabilises

    Discover strategies for managing bonds as US and European yields remain rangebound due to uncertain inflation and evolving monetary policies.

    Read article
  • 350x200 peter

    Equities: Are we blowing bubbles again

    Explore key trends and opportunities in European equities and electrification theme as market dynamics echo 2021's rally.

    Read article
  • 350x200 charu (1)

    FX: Risk-on currencies to surge against havens

    Explore the outlook for USD, AUD, NZD, and EM carry trades as risk-on currencies are set to outperform in Q3 2024.

    Read article
  • 350x200 ole

    Commodities: Energy and grains in focus as metals pause

    Energy and grains to shine as metals pause. Discover key trends and market drivers for commodities in Q3 2024.

    Read article

Disclaimer

The Saxo Bank Group entities each provide execution-only service and access to Analysis permitting a person to view and/or use content available on or via the website. This content is not intended to and does not change or expand on the execution-only service. Such access and use are at all times subject to (i) The Terms of Use; (ii) Full Disclaimer; (iii) The Risk Warning; (iv) the Rules of Engagement and (v) Notices applying to Saxo News & Research and/or its content in addition (where relevant) to the terms governing the use of hyperlinks on the website of a member of the Saxo Bank Group by which access to Saxo News & Research is gained. Such content is therefore provided as no more than information. In particular no advice is intended to be provided or to be relied on as provided nor endorsed by any Saxo Bank Group entity; nor is it to be construed as solicitation or an incentive provided to subscribe for or sell or purchase any financial instrument. All trading or investments you make must be pursuant to your own unprompted and informed self-directed decision. As such no Saxo Bank Group entity will have or be liable for any losses that you may sustain as a result of any investment decision made in reliance on information which is available on Saxo News & Research or as a result of the use of the Saxo News & Research. Orders given and trades effected are deemed intended to be given or effected for the account of the customer with the Saxo Bank Group entity operating in the jurisdiction in which the customer resides and/or with whom the customer opened and maintains his/her trading account. Saxo News & Research does not contain (and should not be construed as containing) financial, investment, tax or trading advice or advice of any sort offered, recommended or endorsed by Saxo Bank Group and should not be construed as a record of our trading prices, or as an offer, incentive or solicitation for the subscription, sale or purchase in any financial instrument. To the extent that any content is construed as investment research, you must note and accept that the content was not intended to and has not been prepared in accordance with legal requirements designed to promote the independence of investment research and as such, would be considered as a marketing communication under relevant laws.

Please read our disclaimers:
Notification on Non-Independent Investment Research (https://www.home.saxo/legal/niird/notification)
Full disclaimer (https://www.home.saxo/legal/disclaimer/saxo-disclaimer)
Full disclaimer (https://www.home.saxo/legal/saxoselect-disclaimer/disclaimer)

Saxo Bank A/S (Headquarters)
Philip Heymans Alle 15
2900
Hellerup
Denmark

Contact Saxo

Select region

International
International

Trade responsibly
All trading carries risk. Read more. To help you understand the risks involved we have put together a series of Key Information Documents (KIDs) highlighting the risks and rewards related to each product. Read more

This website can be accessed worldwide however the information on the website is related to Saxo Bank A/S and is not specific to any entity of Saxo Bank Group. All clients will directly engage with Saxo Bank A/S and all client agreements will be entered into with Saxo Bank A/S and thus governed by Danish Law.

Apple and the Apple logo are trademarks of Apple Inc, registered in the US and other countries and regions. App Store is a service mark of Apple Inc. Google Play and the Google Play logo are trademarks of Google LLC.