Macro Dragon: Month/Quarter/Half-Year End...
Macro Dragon = Cross-Asset Daily Views that could cover anything from tactical positioning, to long-term thematic investments, key events & inflection points in the markets, all with the objective of consistent wealth creation overtime.
Macro Dragon: Month/Quarter/Half-Year End...
Top of Mind…
- So here we are in Asia Tue 30 Jun 2020 morning, at the cusp of the month/quarter/half-year end… & so far pretty smooth, no crazy moves one way or another – yet its all about how the US session closes later today.
- Bear in mind it’s a pretty potent wk as we highlighted on yesterday’s Welcome to WK # 27... Pivotal US 4th of July Wkd – with everything from PMIs, ISMs, NFP, lot of Fed speak & of course shortened wk in the US.
- Whilst from a price action perspective, we probably have to wait until end of next wk to get a clean technical read on things (ex. Quarter end/start flows), there are two key things that KVP things are the most important going into the monthly & quarterly closes tonight.
- First is Gold $1771, again very bullish close last wk, not just above the pivotal $1750, yet above $1770 & on track to close well above May’s monthly close of $1730.
- Again folks, we’ve been saying this on the Dragon for a while – the breakout higher in gold is a BIG deal… check out the daily | weekly | monthly charts… SpaceX rocket right there! And obviously whilst we keep referring to gold, we mean the entire precious metal complex & asset classes.
- Second is the US Dollar $97.45 (DXY), post the bearish confirmation of the last few weeks (three consecutive weekly closes below $98.00) the DXY is on track to have it first monthly close sub the pivotal 98.00 lvl since the end of Jan 2020.
- If this holds – one of KVP’s key view is we are in the midst of a breakdown lower in the USD, with DXY needing to stay sub current 200DMA of c. 98.40. This bodes well for a number of different reasons, not just gold & commodities, yet generally EM assets & overall risk-on sentiment.
- Ze dollar bulls would argue, the weekly 200MA is c. 96.50 & so far the DXY keep bouncing up from that lvl to the 100WMA of 97.50, i.e. we have not really broke lover on the USD.
To Keep In Mind Today
- JP: U/R, Flash IP, Housing Starts
- CH: Mfg. PMI 50.9a 50.4e 50.6p, Serv. PMI 54.4a 53.3e 53.6p
- NZ: ANZ Business Confidence
- AU: Private Sector Credit
- UK: Current Account, Final 1Q GDP -2.0%e/p, Biz Inv
- EZ: Flash CPI -0.1%e +0.1%p, Flash CORE CPI +0.8%e +0.9%p
- US: Chicago PMI 45.0e 32.3p, FOMC speakers Williams & Brainard @ 23:00 SGT, Powell @ 00:30, Kashkari @ 02:00
Start-End = Gratitude + Integrity + Vision + Tenacity. Process > Outcome. Sizing > Idea.
This is the way
Latest Market Insights
Quarterly Outlook Q3 2022: The Runaway Train
Central banks' attempts to kill inflation is a paradigm shift, which could end in a deep recession.
Tangible assets and profitable growth are the winnersWith US equities officially in a bear market, the big question is where and when is the bottom in the current drawdown?
Understanding the lack of investment appetite among oil majorsThe everything rally seen in recent quarters has become more uneven, as its strength is driven by commodities in short supply.
The pressure is on as the wind leaves the sailsWith cryptocurrencies in sharp decline, are we entering a crypto winter or is the bear market a healthy clean-up of the crypto space?
Why the Fed can never catch up and what turns the US dollar lower?Many other central banks are set to eventually outpace the Fed in hiking rates, taking their real interest rates to levels higher than the Fed will achieve.
Bank of Japan: Swimming against the tideThe Japanese economy has gone from the age of deflation to rapidly rising prices in no time, leaving the Bank of Japan in a pickle.
Green transformation detour and bear market hibernationWith the impending risk of global econonomic derailment, we share the five things investors need to consider in this new half year.
Crisis redux for the eurozone?Whether there's going to be a recession in Europe or not, the path towards a stable economy will be agonizing.
Technical Outlook: Gold, Oil and a remarkable multi-decade perspective on EquitiesThe Nasdaq bubble pattern, USDJPY resistance, crude oil uptrend losing steam and the technical outlook for USD.
China: the train of new development paradigm left the station two years agoChina is transiting to a new development paradigm, as they are hit by deteriorating terms of trade, a slower global economy and an uncertain future while continuing attempts to contain the pandemic.