US Election Check-In Asia Morning: More Noise than Signal...
Summary: Macro Dragon = Cross-Asset Daily Views that could cover anything from tactical positioning, to long-term thematic investments, key events & inflection points in the markets, all with the objective of consistent wealth creation overtime.
US Election Check-In Asia Morning: More Noise than Signal... Could Texas be a game changer for either?
Top of Mind…
Obviously early days, yet early indications show a lot more noise before we get a clear signal
Great points below from John here at the crazy 0330 local time
"2020 Election Night status before I turn in for a couple of hours sleep:
- Trump is winning Florida by larger margin than 2016 (won then by 1.2%, with 93% in it is at 3.0% in his favour and likely to tilt more R with remaining vote), with huge shift in Miami area the key shift
- North Carolina (went for Trump by 3 points in 2016) in Biden’s favour with almost 80% precincts counted, but margin shrinking fast and NY Times leans strongly for Trump to win there
- If Florida situation is specific to Miami and Cuban voters, there is still a narrow path for Biden, but contested election/narrow win looks like his best bet – will be a long wait for results if it is about Michigan, Pennsylvania, Wisconsin again.
- Will maybe come down to Pennsylvania and Arizona if Trump takes Florida, Ohio and North Carolina"
So Florida is looking too close & NC indicating that despite Biden's initial lead, balance of the count could favor Trump towards the same signal (or lack thereof) of Florida.
Currently it looks like the only thing that can take the mkt from a clear & smooth pathway is a big Biden win in Texas
Otherwise we may have to count every last bean… & could be in for quite a spell
Remember from a near-term markets' perspective – its less about a Biden or Trump victory… but a bigger margin that points towards a quicker outcome
Currently 1045 SGT 2145 ET 0345 CET – the AP is showing us 131 for Biden vs. 92 for Trump…
Remember Texas is 38 points
Latest Market Insights
Quarterly Outlook Q3 2022: The Runaway Train
- Central banks' attempts to kill inflation is a paradigm shift, which could end in a deep recession.
Tangible assets and profitable growth are the winnersWith US equities officially in a bear market, the big question is where and when is the bottom in the current drawdown?
Understanding the lack of investment appetite among oil majorsThe everything rally seen in recent quarters has become more uneven, as its strength is driven by commodities in short supply.
The pressure is on as the wind leaves the sailsWith cryptocurrencies in sharp decline, are we entering a crypto winter or is the bear market a healthy clean-up of the crypto space?
Why the Fed can never catch up and what turns the US dollar lower?Many other central banks are set to eventually outpace the Fed in hiking rates, taking their real interest rates to levels higher than the Fed will achieve.
Bank of Japan: Swimming against the tideThe Japanese economy has gone from the age of deflation to rapidly rising prices in no time, leaving the Bank of Japan in a pickle.
Green transformation detour and bear market hibernationWith the impending risk of global econonomic derailment, we share the five things investors need to consider in this new half year.
Crisis redux for the eurozone?Whether there's going to be a recession in Europe or not, the path towards a stable economy will be agonizing.
Technical Outlook: Gold, Oil and a remarkable multi-decade perspective on EquitiesThe Nasdaq bubble pattern, USDJPY resistance, crude oil uptrend losing steam and the technical outlook for USD.
China: the train of new development paradigm left the station two years agoChina is transiting to a new development paradigm, as they are hit by deteriorating terms of trade, a slower global economy and an uncertain future while continuing attempts to contain the pandemic.