Macro Dragon: Mental PnL...
Summary: Macro Dragon = Cross-Asset Daily Views that could cover anything from tactical positioning, to long-term thematic investments, key events & inflection points in the markets, all with the objective of consistent wealth creation overtime.
Macro Dragon: Mental PnL...
Top of Mind…
- This may seem solely one geared for the traders, yet the Dragon Clan understand that the principles of compounding wealth successfully over time, are symmetrical to the principles of living a successful life
- To most traders, there is only one pnl… and that’s the one where at the end of the day, they know whether they are up or down… determined by the tape & their exposure… the padawans’ mind sets their temperament to the pnl… they are attached to it… the masters’ mind is open to everything, yet attached to nothing… the pnl is not the obsession… the process is the obsession
- Yet there is another subtle & way more important pnl measure… & that is mental pnl… this worth at least 10x… but more than likely 100x… let KVP postulate why
- You mental pnl is akin to what state are you spending the vast majority of your time in… are you open, positive & objective in your reasoning… are you driven by the right long-term principles of compounding money… are you staying focused on the process & systems… are your levels of energy & intakes high & healthy… are you playing devils advocate on your best ideas & being unbreakable in your money management systems, etc…
- Or are you tired… fatigued… just not feeling it?… are you operating more on emotional swings between fear & greed…. Sizing too small on the trades that are working & too big on the ones that are not… or are you harvesting your wins to aggressively, while letting your losses turn from small scratches to loses of organs & limbs… is you portfolio all skewed to work out over the next wk, month, quarter, year?... how many of your positions are truly independent non-correlated expressions of riding the market?
- A poor state of mind is part of the process… its important to be abreast of… because just as one should not be decoding a nuclear bomb after a stressful day at the office/home… one should not be making executive decision or running extensive risk or sometimes any risk… when in a poor state of mind
- The one best thing about traders… that they hold over investors… is they don’t need to have anything on. Investors by definition are default long equities & bonds… traders may clear & turn their books several times a wk… let alone over the course of a year. One can always get back in…
- There is a caveman-old school mindset (imho) of grinding day-out & day-in… almost a masochistic pride in it (your reading from someone who once did 90 straight days of +16hrs days in IBD & loving it… & yes, social life was like negative ten thousand… )… yet the truth of the matter is… this game is about volume over time… not intensity at the cost of volume. Part of training is not training… part of work is not working… and part of generating money consistently over time… is not generating money all the time… Even Casanova put up his feet now & then…
- Pick your spots… cultivate a lifestyle & environment (including who is in your inner circle) to raise the delta of being more in the zone… than out of the zone..
- So in review, one of the most important things you can do, is be aware, of you. Are you hot or are you cold. Are you in a peak beautiful state or a poor state of mind. Are good to go with those executive decisions, or perhaps some meditation & yoga are in order, before you sleep on it… etc…
- So… the point is… when your on point - mentally, physically & spiritually… you can literally generate hundreds of millions of dollars in the space of a very short time… did KVP ever tell you about +68% return on AUM in 4hrs… we’ll save that war story for another time… that trader was definitely in a beautiful state
- Just as you would protect your house & clan, protect your mental pnl… it is a lot more valuable that all the wealth you currently hold, as it is a window into what you choose to see & seek. Which is why…
- What you seek, is seeking you… Everybody gets what they want out of the market…
On The Radar Today
- CA: BoC today, which will be Poloz’s last before the new gov takes over. Likely to be similar to yest’s RBA – a wash, saving the tool belt for down the line.
- AU: 1Q GDP -0.3%a -0.4%e +0.5%p, Building Approvals Smash it -1.8%a -10.7%e -4.0%p (guess Aussie has not been lying over the month of Apr)
- CH: Caixin Serv. PMI +55.0a 47.4e 44.4p => that’s such a big beat, that KVP would be inclined to dig into the numbers… again remember Caixin Mfg. also beat on Mon 50.7a 49.6e 49.4p… this is not in-line with the general bearish rhetoric on China economic recovery
- UK: Final Serv. PMI 27.9e 27.8p… again a wash, as its data from lockdown period, PMIs here not likely to count until mid to late 3Q…
- EZ: Final Serv. PMI 28.7e/p… ditto to UK., PPI & U/R [Don’t forget ECB tmr, surprise & risk would dbe if they did something & Euro reversed lower… low delta]
- US: Final Serv. PMI 37.2e 36.9p… ditto to EZ/UK comment… ADP, Crude Oil inventories, ISM Non-mfg 44.2e 41.8p
Start-End = Gratitude + Integrity + Vision. Create Luck. Process > Outcome. Sizing > Idea.
Latest Market Insights
Outrageous Predictions 2023: The War Economy
- The constantly growing global need for energy drives the world's richest to huddle up and launch a R&D project in a size the world hasn't seen since the Manhattan Project gave the US the first atomic bomb.
French President Macron resignsThe political stalemate in France and the rise of Marie Le Pen following the 2022 elections corners President Macron, forcing him to give up on politics and resign from his position. At least for now.
Gold rockets to USD 3,000 as central banks fail on inflation mandateAs markets and central banks realise that the idea that inflation is transitory is wrong, and that prices will remain higher for longer, gold is sent through the roof, hitting a price tag of USD 3,000
EU Army forces EU down path to full unionWith continued challenges in the region and a US military that isn't aggressively enacting its former role as global policeman, the European Union agrees to create its own armed forces, bringing the whole region closer.
A country agrees to ban all meat production by 2030In an effort to become one of the global leaders on the path to net-zero emissions, one country decides to not only put a heavy tax on meat, but to ban domestic production entirely.
UK holds UnBrexit referendumFollowing a recession and domestic pressure, the United Kingdom is thrown into political turmoil that will end with a vote to wind back Brexit.
Widespread price controls are introduced to cap official inflationHistory tells us that with the war economy comes rationing and price controls. And this time is no different, as policymakers introduce strict price controls that lead to a range of unintended consequences.
OPEC+ & Chindia walk out of the IMF, agree to trade with new reserve assetSanctions against Russia have caused widespread turmoil due to US Dollar moves in countries across the globe that don't consider the US an ally. To relieve themselves from this, they leave the IMF and create a new reserve asset.
USDJPY fixed to the USD at 200 as Japan overhauls financial systemFollowing the challenges that faced the Japanese Yen in 2022, the Bank of Japan attempts to keep the currency from sliding. Unsuccessful on the long-term, Japan will launch a reset of its entire financial system.
Tax haven ban kills private equityWith the war economy comes an increased focus on national interests and sovereign nations' ability to assert themselves. In that regard, the OECD countries turn their attention on tax havens and pull the big guns out, banning them altogether.