Macro Dragon: Welcome to WK # 24...
Summary: Macro Dragon = Cross-Asset Daily Views that could cover anything from tactical positioning, to long-term thematic investments, key events & inflection points in the markets, all with the objective of consistent wealth creation overtime.
Macro Dragon: Welcome to WK # 24...
Top of Mind…
- Happy Monday Folks & Welcome to WK # 24…
- What kind of week are you trying to have?
- What is your legacy going to be this wk? You gonna hit the world outside for some "thriving" walks, hills, forests, swims or runs, or are you going to be "surviving" through Netflix, watching other people’s stories?
- Are you gonna do the heavy lifting for your own due diligence & research (post inspiration from the Dragon & SaxoStrats squad), or just keep “busy” with reading line after line of news & “research”? Are you going to make time to think for yourself or let things be dictated to what you should do?
- Are you gonna go through the charts & the technicals, to enhance your trade set-ups or just wing it, keep you stops & targets in you “head”?
- Either way, you are going to get a better or worse this wk in your craft & life…
- …it is going to be an interesting wk, and like any other wk full of limitless upside & downside opportunities… stick to the process & systems in place, there is no belief, like self-belief…
- As we flagged last wk & had previously highlighted in our May Macro Dragon’s monthly high probability exercise, for one to expect more fiscal stimulus & monetary stimulus in the quarters to years ahead… i.e. we are not done, with central bank & government debt balance sheet expansions…
- …and that’s exactly what we got in Europe last week with the ECB & the fiscal leap up in Germany (38% of GDP) – imagine where Germany is 6-12-18m from now, vs the rest of its European peers…
- Themes & Economic data: This week a lot more light that the previous two… its likely going to focus around FOMC, with perhaps expectations raised given ECB last wk. There is a bit of an inflation theme across the board with the US & CH figures there due, OPEC could be interesting (albeit the shenanigans there are unchanged).
- The same themes will continue, dislocation between underlying economy, coupled with liquidity from MP & FP & asset prices flying to the moon. US / CH relations, will we escalate, cool off or be on ice this week? And of course, will the social instability in the US (Yes, yes… which we also flagged many times) continue to play out… whilst its unlikely to have a big effect on risk-assets unless it explodes further in places like NY, SF… its going to become a central issue into the elections… & one that Trump is not geared to play well… so watch out for that trade deal breakout scenario that we have been on about… only upside for Trump & he would get the narrative back on his side.
- And of course, continued USD weakness, the potential tailwinds for EM assets here & risk assets in general. And the fact that currently, it seems that only a phase one deal breakdown can significantly turn the USD around.
- The Dragon is still in the Technicals over Fundamentals camp… as the latter does not matter until it does & that could take 6wks, 6m or even 1-3yrs…
- Central Banks: FED.
- Holidays: AU out on Mon holiday
- US: JOLTS, Inflation, FOMC, PPI, Jobless Claims, UoM sentiment
- CH: Inflation, PPI, Money supply, New Loans, Trade Balance
- EZ: German IP, EZ IP, GDP
- JP: Bank Lending, Current Account, GDP, Avg. Cash Erns, PPI
- UK: GDP, Construction Output, Trade Balance, IP
- AU: Nab Biz. Conf., Westpac Cons. Sentiment, MI Inflation Expectations
- NZ: ANZ Biz Confidence, Mfg. Sales, Biz Mfg. Index, FPI
- CA: Housing Starts, Corporate Profits Q/Q, Capacity Utilization Rate
- Other: Looks like we should have OPEC meetings on Tue
Some Recent Stand-Outs From the Sensational #SaxoStrats Squad…
Start-End = Gratitude+Integrity+Vision. Create Luck. Process > Outcome. Sizing > Idea.
Latest Market Insights
Quarterly Outlook Q3 2022: The Runaway Train
- Central banks' attempts to kill inflation is a paradigm shift, which could end in a deep recession.
Tangible assets and profitable growth are the winnersWith US equities officially in a bear market, the big question is where and when is the bottom in the current drawdown?
Understanding the lack of investment appetite among oil majorsThe everything rally seen in recent quarters has become more uneven, as its strength is driven by commodities in short supply.
The pressure is on as the wind leaves the sailsWith cryptocurrencies in sharp decline, are we entering a crypto winter or is the bear market a healthy clean-up of the crypto space?
Why the Fed can never catch up and what turns the US dollar lower?Many other central banks are set to eventually outpace the Fed in hiking rates, taking their real interest rates to levels higher than the Fed will achieve.
Bank of Japan: Swimming against the tideThe Japanese economy has gone from the age of deflation to rapidly rising prices in no time, leaving the Bank of Japan in a pickle.
Green transformation detour and bear market hibernationWith the impending risk of global econonomic derailment, we share the five things investors need to consider in this new half year.
Crisis redux for the eurozone?Whether there's going to be a recession in Europe or not, the path towards a stable economy will be agonizing.
Technical Outlook: Gold, Oil and a remarkable multi-decade perspective on EquitiesThe Nasdaq bubble pattern, USDJPY resistance, crude oil uptrend losing steam and the technical outlook for USD.
China: the train of new development paradigm left the station two years agoChina is transiting to a new development paradigm, as they are hit by deteriorating terms of trade, a slower global economy and an uncertain future while continuing attempts to contain the pandemic.