Macro Dragon: Phase One Signing… (Special Sat Edition)
Summary: Macro Dragon = Daily Cross-Asset Global Views
KVP runs us through some contingency planing around a highly probabilistic break of the phase one deal - likely before the end of 1H20. End of the day, Trump will do what it takes to win voters in his bid for re-election & looking tough on China, will get him clicks & votes.
Macro Dragon: Thoughts on Phase One Signing... (Special Sat Edition)Before we get into it, for those that are back – or on the way back in – from what was hopefully a restful year-end holiday break, Happy New Years!
Let me sincerely (hand on liver) wish you, your families & teams the best of 2020. May your health, vigor & experiences be excellent & full of fun + laughter. May you continue to grow & develop yourself. May you be awash in gratitude & contribution plus fall [tail] backward into more money than Bezos.
We’ll be shaking things up from KVP’s side, so expect a lot more trade views going forward, as well as 20 long-term trades views for 2020 – which KVP will do a special piece & mini-series on.
Ok let’s get after it…
Phase One Signing...
Jan 15th seems to be the D-date for the signing for the signing of the phase one deal – I believe China’s officials will be flying in a few days earlier to make sure all the t's & dots are aligned.
No hard view here from KVP, it remains a window dressing exercise as far as he is concerned.
Long in spirit, short in details – it should all go through, for now.
KVP still thinks the biggest tactical 1Q20/2Q20 risk is eventual breakdown of US-China deal – the probability here is high & he would urge all serious traders to spend some time on scenario planning on a phase-one deal breakoff.
It would be tactical in nature & usual suspects in execution – this is going to be “easy” money if you are on point when the news breaks:
- Back the 7-ton truck into picking up US bond futures & generally DM Duration
- Short USDJPY, USDCHF, EURJPY, EURCHF, AUDJPY, AUDCHF, NZDJPY, NZDCHF
(also steepners should work, plus love those as strategic trades – watch out for KVP’s 20-4-2020… )
- Obviously long USDCNH… so folks could also consider calls & call-spreads here as an edge.. we’d be back in 7.05 – 7.15 zone… from these 6.93 lvls. Overall USD likely to be bid vs. EM FX
- Long ze precious metals like gold & silver, vs. short the likes of copper. Energy likely to be weak as well on potential deal break
- Short Equities, especially the cyclical heavy & export exposed to China i.e. Kospi, Nikkei, ASX
- From an equities relative value sector perspective it would be the same out-performance of defensive vs. cyclicals... i.e. long utilities, healthcare vs. say financials & industrials
If we go the entire 2020 without a Phase One deal break – that would actually qualify for an outrageous prediction in KVP’s book.
Still think a combative Trump vs. China, adds to his Re-Election capital & chances…
So watch out for that potential strategy as we get closer to 3 Nov 20
What We Are Reading From SaxoStrats:
- Jakobsen & SaxoStrats team with our sensational 2020: Outrageous Predictions
- Hardy latest FX Update: USDJPY to test above 110 if US yields continue to climb & USD bullish reversals abound
Latest Market Insights
Quarterly Outlook Q3 2022: The Runaway Train
- Central banks' attempts to kill inflation is a paradigm shift, which could end in a deep recession.
Tangible assets and profitable growth are the winnersWith US equities officially in a bear market, the big question is where and when is the bottom in the current drawdown?
Understanding the lack of investment appetite among oil majorsThe everything rally seen in recent quarters has become more uneven, as its strength is driven by commodities in short supply.
The pressure is on as the wind leaves the sailsWith cryptocurrencies in sharp decline, are we entering a crypto winter or is the bear market a healthy clean-up of the crypto space?
Why the Fed can never catch up and what turns the US dollar lower?Many other central banks are set to eventually outpace the Fed in hiking rates, taking their real interest rates to levels higher than the Fed will achieve.
Bank of Japan: Swimming against the tideThe Japanese economy has gone from the age of deflation to rapidly rising prices in no time, leaving the Bank of Japan in a pickle.
Green transformation detour and bear market hibernationWith the impending risk of global econonomic derailment, we share the five things investors need to consider in this new half year.
Crisis redux for the eurozone?Whether there's going to be a recession in Europe or not, the path towards a stable economy will be agonizing.
Technical Outlook: Gold, Oil and a remarkable multi-decade perspective on EquitiesThe Nasdaq bubble pattern, USDJPY resistance, crude oil uptrend losing steam and the technical outlook for USD.
China: the train of new development paradigm left the station two years agoChina is transiting to a new development paradigm, as they are hit by deteriorating terms of trade, a slower global economy and an uncertain future while continuing attempts to contain the pandemic.