Macro Dragon: Bojo in ICU = Key Implications for GBP / UK Recovery...
Summary: Macro Dragon = Cross-Asset Daily Views that could cover anything from tactical positioning, to long-term thematic investments, key events & inflection points in the markets, all with the objective of consistent wealth creation overtime.
Macro Dragon: Bojo in ICU = Key Implications for GBP / UK Recovery
Folks as a pin going forward during this turbulent times, let us please remember:
The Covid-19 crisis with all its challenges, stress, chaos & opportunities will also eventually pass. What defines humanity & ourselves as individuals is how we both individually & collectively act under adversity. Think of how you want to look back over this period, doing your part to keep your family healthy, society healthy & functioning. Keeping a cool head, when others are losing theirs, maintaining an objective list of positive aspects & negative aspects of the policy responses & economic shock the world is / could go through. And lastly gratitude, sympathy & empathy for one another. Parts of Asia got / are getting through this & so too shall the RoW.
The one big positive from all this, is it reminds us we are all One. Plus we are not at the top of the food chain. Covid-19 does not care if you are rich, poor, what your ethnicity & skin color are, what passport/s you hold, nor what you age or profession is. Our greatest achievements are almost always those that we collectively do with others & sometimes as in this case, potentially as species.
Lastly keep your mind open to growth & opportunities.
Top of Mind…
- We already covered the wk ahead on Fri Macro Dragon: Chu Chu!, which will be shorter given good Friday holidays around the world on 10 Apr. The wk also has an inflation theme out of the US & CH
- As we talked about in yest’s Dragon: The Tail-End ≠ V-Shaped Econ Bounce, Bojo getting into hospital was a key risk for GBPUSD which had a massive move intraday overnight of -1.30% from 1.2327 H to 1.2166 L. He is now in ICU, with last update being he is still conscious but not yet on a ventilator. Cable closed down -0.31% at 1.2231 for the session
- The deck of probabilities is against Bojo – who is likely the one unique leader that can lead the UK out of the EU, as well as economic recovery from the Covid-19 epidemic. Our thoughts are of course with him, his family & the UK
- Lastly if you think Bojo is the only world leader with Covid-19, think again. KVP would take any bet that the leaders of Brazil & Mexico, who have flaunted any physical distancing measures are more than likely to have it. Watch this space
- Once again Covid-19 is accelerating political risk & leadership globally
- The risk to the Macro Dragon’s bearish US equities skew (retest the 2200 lvls & make new lows), has its gone from being an outlier (3-4wks back) to being super consensus.
- Does not make it wrong, but the continued price action from US equities – monster +7% on US S&P equities overnight to 2663 – says that the upside continues to be the path of least resistance as shorts get squeezed & the euphoria over lower numbers coming out of Italy, Spain & NY
- In the GFC it took 2yrs to lose c. 10m jobs, so far we have done that in 2 wks during the Covid-19 crisis. And as we talked about yest, the tail-end (which CH, SK, JP, SG, TW) of Covid-19 is not as clear cut as it seems – things don’t just restart symmetrically, let alone global travel opening up
- Lets see how this wk plays out, at this rate it may go down as the most bullish wk ever seen in US equities. Still 3 trading sessions left.
We could continue to be in a gang buster period of volatility both to the up & down side until at least mid-Apr to back-end of May. Some, time decay is needed in the system, both from a Covid-19 spread (past peak velocity upwards), even bigger & even better government / fiscal / monetary policy response, to overall heads of governments giving this the 2nd & 3rd order consequences thinking that it needs. This to shall pass. Keep you minds & hearts open
Good luck to everyone out there, be nimble & position accordingly
Latest Market Insights
Outrageous Predictions 2023: The War Economy
- The constantly growing global need for energy drives the world's richest to huddle up and launch a R&D project in a size the world hasn't seen since the Manhattan Project gave the US the first atomic bomb.
French President Macron resignsThe political stalemate in France and the rise of Marie Le Pen following the 2022 elections corners President Macron, forcing him to give up on politics and resign from his position. At least for now.
Gold rockets to USD 3,000 as central banks fail on inflation mandateAs markets and central banks realise that the idea that inflation is transitory is wrong, and that prices will remain higher for longer, gold is sent through the roof, hitting a price tag of USD 3,000
EU Army forces EU down path to full unionWith continued challenges in the region and a US military that isn't aggressively enacting its former role as global policeman, the European Union agrees to create its own armed forces, bringing the whole region closer.
A country agrees to ban all meat production by 2030In an effort to become one of the global leaders on the path to net-zero emissions, one country decides to not only put a heavy tax on meat, but to ban domestic production entirely.
UK holds UnBrexit referendumFollowing a recession and domestic pressure, the United Kingdom is thrown into political turmoil that will end with a vote to wind back Brexit.
Widespread price controls are introduced to cap official inflationHistory tells us that with the war economy comes rationing and price controls. And this time is no different, as policymakers introduce strict price controls that lead to a range of unintended consequences.
OPEC+ & Chindia walk out of the IMF, agree to trade with new reserve assetSanctions against Russia have caused widespread turmoil due to US Dollar moves in countries across the globe that don't consider the US an ally. To relieve themselves from this, they leave the IMF and create a new reserve asset.
USDJPY fixed to the USD at 200 as Japan overhauls financial systemFollowing the challenges that faced the Japanese Yen in 2022, the Bank of Japan attempts to keep the currency from sliding. Unsuccessful on the long-term, Japan will launch a reset of its entire financial system.
Tax haven ban kills private equityWith the war economy comes an increased focus on national interests and sovereign nations' ability to assert themselves. In that regard, the OECD countries turn their attention on tax havens and pull the big guns out, banning them altogether.