Macro Digest: False stabilisation and trade wars
Chief Investment Officer
Summary: As Chinese trade war rhetoric becomes more strident the odds of a detente being reached at next month's G20 summit have shrunk to just 50/50. The upshot may be policy moves in the US and infrastructure development programmes in China.
• The rhetoric change in China this week takes down our 75/25 for a deal odds to 50/50. Remember: Nothing happens in vacuum in China.
• Risk is our next “inflection point” expected in July/August could move forward to just past the G20 meeting on June 28/29.
• Policy response are likely to be lower Fed policy rates in the US, infrastructure spending in China combined with much lower RRR overall. China needs jobs, the US needs growth
• XAUCNY is the trade to watch on RISK ON/OFF – we are now long XAUCNY.
Apart from the overall more negative tone coming from trade talks we also have a keen eye on the Iran vs US escalation we are seeing. The mobilisation of US forces is significant and I for one fail to see end game from this except of course from the obvious “deterrent" Cold War script.
Quarterly Outlook Q2 2022
Quarterly Outlook Q2 2022: The End Game has arrived
- Shocks from covid and the war in Ukraine have forced the global financial and political world to change, but what will the end game be?
Productivity and innovation have never been more importantAs the world economy hits physical limits and central banks tighten their belts, could equities be facing a 10-15% downside?
The great EUR recovery and the difficulty of trading itIf the terrible fog of war hopefully lifts soon, the conditions are promising for the euro to reprice significantly higher.
Tight commodity markets – turbocharged by war and sanctionsWith supply already tight, commodities keep powering on. But will it last for yet another quarter?
Between a rock and a hard placeGeopolitical concerns will add upward price pressures and fears of slower growth, while volatility will remain elevated.
The Great ErosionInflation is everywhere and central banks try to combat it. But will they get it under control in time?
Australian investing: Six considerations amid triple Rs: rising rates, record inflation and likely recessionWhile global financial markets are struggling in an uncertain world, the commodity-heavy Australian ASX index is poised to keep a positive momentum.
Cybersecurity – the rush to catch up with realityWith the invasion of Ukraine, governments and private companies are rushing to reinforce their cyber defenses.