Macro Dragon: The Fed Loooooooooves US Credit
Summary: Macro Dragon = Cross-Asset Daily Views that could cover anything from tactical positioning, to long-term thematic investments, key events & inflection points in the markets, all with the objective of consistent wealth creation overtime.
Macro Dragon: The Fed Looooooves US Credit
Top of Mind…
- So we finally get more details on how the Fed is going to be lifting corporate bonds in the US market (outside of ETFs) & it looks like individual corporate bonds will be bought under the SMCCF [Secondary Market Corporate Credit Facility].
- As well as further details tied to SMCCF including eligibility criteria. Obviously the theme of what we’ve mention in the Dragon all the way from 18th of March - Macro Dragon: Pockets of Value Starting to Show - when we said credit had found a floor, continues as its all about front running the Fed – this is going to not just be a multi-quarter part… but multi-year party! Just look to the ECB who have been buying bonds for years.
- Again to the folks that say there is a lot of uncertainty out there, yes & no – as said multiple times, there has also never been MORE CERTAINTY… i.e. you can say with 200% probability that monetary policy is set to be accommodative from the Fed & ECB & Fiscal Policy is set to continue to be loose for both the US & EZ.
- This is a big deal, recall in a pre-C19 world, 80% of the battle is trying to figure out what is happening on FP or MP, and here we know with complete certainty… focus on the 1st principle order of effects from that… as the trends from loose FP & accommodative MP tend to overwhelm a lot of the marginal smaller counter & often bearish trends
- Don’t get too caught up in the day to day noise – we went up because of liquidity (not because of fundamentals) & we will stay up, to accelerate up because of liquidity & we will also eventually come off because of lack of liquidity – bang for buck having run its course, yet that could be years away… watch the room on the Fed’s BS as a ratio to GDP, using BoJ & Japan as a mirror.
- And yes once again – nothing is off the table, be it YCC, negative rates nor the Fed/Treasury buying US equities.
On The Radar Today
- AU: RBA Mins, Quarterly House Prices
- JP: BoJ
- UK: Claimant Count Change, Avg Erns Index, Unemployment Rate, Gilt Auctions
- EZ: GER ZEW, GER inflation
- US: Powell @ 22:00, Clarida @ 04:00, Retail Sales, Capacity Utilization, IP, Biz Inv.
- NZ: Milk Auction
Start-End = Gratitude + Integrity + Vision. Create Luck. Process > Outcome. Sizing > Idea.
Latest Market Insights
Quarterly Outlook Q3 2022: The Runaway Train
- Winter is coming to the financial markets as central banks are tightening their grip. How spring will look is still a question.
European energy crisis: it will get worse before it gets betterThe winter in Europe will be tough, but whether the result is political chaos or sustainable, innovative solutions is still undecided.
A difficult and volatile quarter awaitsAs the year draws to an end, commodities continue to be at centre stage of the world with growth pockets political uncertainty.
The bright side: crises drive innovationThe positive spin on crises is that they come with solutions. It is worrisome that deglobalisation may be a response to this crisis.
Green transformation in China: renewable energy and beyondGoing green, China needs to span numerous energy sources to ensure stability, as every source comes with a challenge.
Asia: Intermittent solutions, but a faster renewable adoption curveAsian energy supply is being squeezed. This and the adoption of renewables may change the investment sentiment in the region.
FX: A Fed thaw needed to deliver a sustained USD turn lowerThe US Dollar can keep momentum when the Federal Reserve continues to tighten, leaving the rest to play to their drum.
Autumn can become ugly for equities and bond holders. Comfort for Dollar longsTechnical analysis suggests that equities could face a tough Q4 as could fixed income. US Dollar positions could provide some upside.
The next stock market sector to watch, with stocks going nuclearAs the world scrambles to find affordable, sustainable energy, nuclear is getting attention from politicians and investors alike.
The crypto space is getting cold when the hype disappearsCryptocurrencies face a winter of their own as retail investors and governments are asking tough questions.