Macro Dragon: The Key Technical Levels... 2650 / 2800
Summary: Macro Dragon = Cross-Asset Daily Views that could cover anything from tactical positioning, to long-term thematic investments, key events & inflection points in the markets, all with the objective of consistent wealth creation overtime.
Macro Dragon: The Key Technical Levels... 2650 / 2800
Folks as a pin going forward during this turbulent times, let us please remember:
The Covid-19 crisis with all its challenges, stress, chaos & opportunities will also eventually pass. What defines humanity & ourselves as individuals is how we both individually & collectively act under adversity. Think of how you want to look back over this period, doing your part to keep your family healthy, society healthy & functioning. Keeping a cool head, when others are losing theirs, maintaining an objective list of positive aspects & negative aspects of the policy responses & economic shock the world is / could go through. And lastly gratitude, sympathy & empathy for one another. Parts of Asia got / are getting through this & so too shall the RoW.
The one big positive from all this, is it reminds us we are all One. Plus we are not at the top of the food chain. Covid-19 does not care if you are rich, poor, what your ethnicity & skin color are, what passport/s you hold, nor what you age or profession is. Our greatest achievements are almost always those that we collectively do with others & sometimes as in this case, potentially as species.
Lastly keep your mind open to growth & opportunities.
Top of Mind…
- Bear Market Regime or the lows are in, one thing is for sure, we have broken some key technical lvl on stocks. On the SPX we have now had two consecutive closes above the key fibo lvl of 38.2% of 2650.89, even if yest pull back at -0.16% was a touch above that at 2659
- So that 2650 lvl is a key support for the bulls & key resistance for the bears. To the topside its the even more critical 50.0% retracement lvl of 2793. So basically this key 2650 – 2800 range is going to be key in determining whether we break out of it to the upside, a clear sign that the bulls are back & the lows are clearly in, or if we dip back below indicating things are once again less clear
- The Fibo retracement range on a daily candle bar chart (top wick to bottom wick is from 3393.52 to 2191.86
- Obviously recent rally – rightly or wrongly – has been around the perception that we are likely through the worst in NY after two consecutive days of falling deaths, then we got the highest one-day total o/n by 731 (and that was +100)
- However as we have flagged before on Macro Dragon, its not about the death count for the market (that’s a lagging indicator), it being on the other side of peak velocity & the price action is telling us that we are there – at least in regards to NY. Not all regions are equal in the US, so poorer states with larger concentration of minorities will likely have a much lower weighting in regards to the US Equity markets moves
- So now its really about when the economy is opening up, as well as whether the consensus view on a V-shaped recovery (which we disagree with) is priced in correctly – not sure how long we have to wait & what the pricing would be, i.e. if the US shutdown is extended until June or Jul, what then for equities?
- Bojo is still in ICU. China recorded its first day with no death from Covid-19 this year & is set to lift the lock-down on Wuhan – basically 3m after a complete & systematic quarantine. Japan is setting the bell-curve again, with a fiscal policy initiative that is c. 20% of GDP - this is around the levels that most countries will get to. Blackstone's CEO says we could see -$5 trn (c. 25%) wiped out of US GDP...
- We shall see. Strong convictions loosely held
- One more day until the long good Friday wkd – think we could all use some downtime
We could continue to be in a gang buster period of volatility both to the up & down side until at least mid-Apr to back-end of May. Some, time decay is needed in the system, both from a Covid-19 spread (past peak velocity upwards), even bigger & even better government / fiscal / monetary policy response, to overall heads of governments giving this the 2nd & 3rd order consequences thinking that it needs. This to shall pass. Keep you minds & hearts open
Good luck to everyone out there, be nimble & position accordingly
Latest Market Insights
Outrageous Predictions 2023: The War Economy
- The constantly growing global need for energy drives the world's richest to huddle up and launch a R&D project in a size the world hasn't seen since the Manhattan Project gave the US the first atomic bomb.
French President Macron resignsThe political stalemate in France and the rise of Marie Le Pen following the 2022 elections corners President Macron, forcing him to give up on politics and resign from his position. At least for now.
Gold rockets to USD 3,000 as central banks fail on inflation mandateAs markets and central banks realise that the idea that inflation is transitory is wrong, and that prices will remain higher for longer, gold is sent through the roof, hitting a price tag of USD 3,000
EU Army forces EU down path to full unionWith continued challenges in the region and a US military that isn't aggressively enacting its former role as global policeman, the European Union agrees to create its own armed forces, bringing the whole region closer.
A country agrees to ban all meat production by 2030In an effort to become one of the global leaders on the path to net-zero emissions, one country decides to not only put a heavy tax on meat, but to ban domestic production entirely.
UK holds UnBrexit referendumFollowing a recession and domestic pressure, the United Kingdom is thrown into political turmoil that will end with a vote to wind back Brexit.
Widespread price controls are introduced to cap official inflationHistory tells us that with the war economy comes rationing and price controls. And this time is no different, as policymakers introduce strict price controls that lead to a range of unintended consequences.
OPEC+ & Chindia walk out of the IMF, agree to trade with new reserve assetSanctions against Russia have caused widespread turmoil due to US Dollar moves in countries across the globe that don't consider the US an ally. To relieve themselves from this, they leave the IMF and create a new reserve asset.
USDJPY fixed to the USD at 200 as Japan overhauls financial systemFollowing the challenges that faced the Japanese Yen in 2022, the Bank of Japan attempts to keep the currency from sliding. Unsuccessful on the long-term, Japan will launch a reset of its entire financial system.
Tax haven ban kills private equityWith the war economy comes an increased focus on national interests and sovereign nations' ability to assert themselves. In that regard, the OECD countries turn their attention on tax havens and pull the big guns out, banning them altogether.