Macro Dragon: Welcome to WK # 41, China is out, VP Debate In, RBA, FOMC Mins, New Month, Final Quarter
Summary: Macro Dragon = Cross-Asset Daily Views that could cover anything from tactical positioning, to long-term thematic investments, key events & inflection points in the markets, all with the objective of consistent wealth creation overtime.
Macro Dragon: WK # 41, China out, VP Debate In, RBA, FOMC Mins, New Month = Final Quarter = New POTUS
Top of Mind…
- Happy Monday Folks & Welcome to WK # 41…
- Hope everyone had an epic restful weekend
- What kind of week are you trying to have up ahead?
- Focus: Well folks, basically a month to the pivotal US election day, so VP debate between Harris & Pence may be the only actual “debate”, despite us still having two more meet-ups scheduled between Trump & Biden. Worth noting Harris is a prosecutor by background & Pence’s speeches have tended to be cardboard tasty.
- It’s worth noting, the debates are not mandated by the constitution & part of the Dragon’s ring-side coaching to one of the teams is to bin one of the debates, among other advice going forward.
- Markets: New Month, Final Quarter means the potential noise in price action of last wk is out of the way. We could potentially be going back into a sustained run of risk-assets doing well & the USD being sold – i.e. its seems to be so consensus that its going to get volatile on the election outcome, that KVP is starting to think that pathway is going to get priced out.
- Economics: Final Service PMIs across the board, including US ISM Non-mfg PMI. We got some industrial production data out of Europe including German Factory orders. The US will see Trade Balance, JOLTS & the usual weekly jobs data (ticked lower last wk)
- Politics: VP Debate Wed 7 Oct – Its going down! Harris is going to go through Pence like a Vegan on a Meat Lover.
- Central Banks: RBA 0.25 % e/p
- ECB’s Lagarde set to speak on Tue 6 Oct 21:00 SGT & Wed 20:00 SGT
- Also have BoE’s Bailey Thu @ 15:25 SGT & BoC Macklem Thu @ 2-:30 SGT
- Fed Speak: Evans, Bostic, Powell Tue 6 Oct @ 22:40 SGT, Harker, Kaplan, Rosengren, Williams
- FOMC Minutes due early Thu Asia, Wed evening ET US - likely nothing new here… yet obviously if YCC is coming back in focus & concerns about a slowdown in fiscal support may move markets.
- Holidays: China has been out since last Thu & only gets back in on Fri this wk
- Other: We got daylights saving time shift in Australia over the wkd, taking us back to 3hrs with SG from 2.
Start-to-End = Gratitude + Integrity + Vision + Tenacity |Process > Outcome | Sizing > Idea.
This is the wayKVP
Latest Market Insights
Quarterly Outlook Q3 2022: The Runaway Train
- Winter is coming to the financial markets as central banks are tightening their grip. How spring will look is still a question.
European energy crisis: it will get worse before it gets betterThe winter in Europe will be tough, but whether the result is political chaos or sustainable, innovative solutions is still undecided.
A difficult and volatile quarter awaitsAs the year draws to an end, commodities continue to be at centre stage of the world with growth pockets political uncertainty.
The bright side: crises drive innovationThe positive spin on crises is that they come with solutions. It is worrisome that deglobalisation may be a response to this crisis.
Green transformation in China: renewable energy and beyondGoing green, China needs to span numerous energy sources to ensure stability, as every source comes with a challenge.
Asia: Intermittent solutions, but a faster renewable adoption curveAsian energy supply is being squeezed. This and the adoption of renewables may change the investment sentiment in the region.
FX: A Fed thaw needed to deliver a sustained USD turn lowerThe US Dollar can keep momentum when the Federal Reserve continues to tighten, leaving the rest to play to their drum.
Autumn can become ugly for equities and bond holders. Comfort for Dollar longsTechnical analysis suggests that equities could face a tough Q4 as could fixed income. US Dollar positions could provide some upside.
The next stock market sector to watch, with stocks going nuclearAs the world scrambles to find affordable, sustainable energy, nuclear is getting attention from politicians and investors alike.
The crypto space is getting cold when the hype disappearsCryptocurrencies face a winter of their own as retail investors and governments are asking tough questions.