FOREX 7 minutes to read

Arresting developments send USD and JPY higher

John Hardy

Head of FX Strategy, Saxo Bank Group

Summary:  Canada has arrested Huawei’s CFO at the behest of the USA as she stands accused of violating Iran sanctions. China has protested the move and global risk appetite has nosedived, and barely registered the China’s commerce ministry putting a positive spin on trade negotiations with the US this morning.


The arrest yesterday in Canada of Huawei’s CFO on charges of violating US sanctions against Iran set global markets on edge overnight, to say the least. Huawei has received considerable negative attention outside of China on national security concerns related to its mobile telephony and network technology and is banned from use by US government employees.

As well, its 5G mobile network equipment has already been banned in New Zealand, Australia and the UK. This echoes the risk I have mentioned in previous updates that targeted sanctions against Chinese companies could be as much of a risk for keeping the US-China relationship rocky as the risk of further tariff implementation. 

This story appears to be the proximate cause of the very ugly downdraft in risk appetite overnight, with the Asian session seeing its heaviest selling of equities in weeks. US equity futures opened after yesterday’s closure in such a frenzy of selling that the CME was forced to implement brief trading pauses to keep the market orderly. Suddenly, the US S&P 500 is staring down the lows for the cycle just a couple of days after trying significant resistance several percent higher (2,810 is the hurdle for a more risk-on stance).

In FX, volatility spiked higher, but the heavy hand of China over its exchange rate is likely muffling volatility potential at every turn as such a bloodletting in equity markets would normally see more cross-market contagion, particularly into EM. The heaviest selling was in AUD, showing the high sensitivity we expected to all things US-China related.

An interesting test of market sentiment arrived this morning as a Chinese Commerce Ministry spokesperson was out this morning putting a positive spin on hopes for a trade agreement with the US, ticking all the boxes that the market would probably have welcomed with far more enthusiasm were it not for the arrest news overnight. The spokesperson specifically mentioned the US’ 90-day negotiation window and listed most of the menu of negotiation areas (cyber was missing from the list) and stated that the US and China have a high level of consensus and that the ultimate joint goal is to remove all new tariffs.

Yesterday, the Bank of Canada waxed cautious in its outlook in its latest monetary policy statement. The market was already a heavy seller of CAD in recent sessions, but the dovishness in the outlook cleared the bar of expectations and USDCAD reached new highs for the year above 1.3400, opening the range to the next major chart level just shy of 1.3800. In the statement, the BoC noted that the large downward revisions to past GDP levels could mean more space for Canada’s economy to grow without aggravating inflation. It also upped the profile of trade conflicts as a risk to the Canadian economy. The January hike that the market had priced at 75% odds is now priced at mere 25%. 

Chart: AUDUSD

The AUD sell-off took on new urgency in overnight trading as fresh longs were send running for cover by market developments and the risk that the US-China relationship may be taking a turn for the worse. The rejection of the entire recent rally sequence suggests a top is in place until proven otherwise, potentially setting us up for a try at the lows and then some to the downside, though the gravity of China defending the CNY floor could make life difficult for AUD bears looking for a more notable trend to develop here.

Enlarge
Source: Saxo Bank

The G10 rundown

USD – the US dollar is mostly coming out on top on the strength of risk aversion, though mostly only against the riskier currencies in G10. The USD bid versus EM is a couple of standard deviations less than one would expect in normal times – wondering if the USDCNY cap is preventing EM volatility here… Headline risk mounting again.

EUR – the euro is impressing by managing to more or less tread water versus a strong US dollar – strength in the crosses could persist here, though we’re increasingly concerned on the economic outlook.

JPY – the yen safe haven bid may not come in with full force until China allows the CNY to float – until then the JPY only seems to rise modestly versus the USD and across the board when risk deleveraging is in full swing.

GBP – the endgame is approaching for Brexit and the outlook is as hazy as ever. May looks a lame duck here as parliament is taking control. Cheating the deadline is still the most likely scenario in the wake of parliament officially rejecting May’s deal next Tuesday.

AUD – more pain for the AUD on deteriorating risk appetite and risks from a fresh angle to the US-China relationship over Huawei overnight. The deep reversal back through 0.7300 in AUDUSD suggests a technical top is in place and will warm bear’s hearts for a try at the cycle lows below 0.7100.

CAD – a big blow for the loonie as BoC waxes dovish – still prefer CAD slightly in the crosses like AUDCAD and NZDCAD, but a bit of patience on those may be required. USDCAD may look toward 1.3800+ if risk-off and weak oil prices persist.

NZD – AUDNZD pushing lower still on the Aussie’s woes. Bears may look to take profit soon there, especially if NZDUSD continues to reverse lower (testing the 200-day moving average this morning).

SEK – we like EURSEK lower towards 10.00 if the Riksbank does hike at the December meeting, but the degree of risk aversion makes life a bit more difficult for SEK bulls – not traditionally a currency that performs well in white knuckle markets.

NOK – OPEC meeting today could provide developments for oil markets. Until oil posts a more notable rally and risk appetite improves, NOK may default to the weak side.

Upcoming Economic Calendar Highlights (all times GMT)

0905 – Australia RBA’s Debelle to speak
1315 – US Nov. ADP Employment Change
1330 – Canada Oct. Int’l Merchandise Trade
1330 – US Oct. Trade Balance
1330 – US Weekly Initial Jobless Claims
1335 – Canada BoC’s Poloz to deliver Economic Progress report
1500 – Canada Nov. Ivey PMI
1500 – US ISM Nov. ISM Non-manufacturing
 

 

Access both platforms from your single Saxo account.

Disclaimer

The Saxo Bank Group entities each provide execution-only service and access to Analysis permitting a person to view and/or use content available on or via the website is not intended to and does not change or expand on this. Such access and use are at all times subject to (i) The Terms of Use; (ii) Full Disclaimer; (iii) The Risk Warning; (iv) the Rules of Engagement and (v) Notices applying to Saxo News & Research and/or its content in addition (where relevant) to the terms governing the use of hyperlinks on the website of a member of the Saxo Bank Group by which access to Saxo News & Research is gained. Such content is therefore provided as no more than information. In particular no advice is intended to be provided or to be relied on as provided nor endorsed by any Saxo Bank Group entity; nor is it to be construed as solicitation or an incentive provided to subscribe for or sell or purchase any financial instrument. All trading or investments you make must be pursuant to your own unprompted and informed self-directed decision. As such no Saxo Bank Group entity will have or be liable for any losses that you may sustain as a result of any investment decision made in reliance on information which is available on Saxo News & Research or as a result of the use of the Saxo News & Research. Orders given and trades effected are deemed intended to be given or effected for the account of the customer with the Saxo Bank Group entity operating in the jurisdiction in which the customer resides and/or with whom the customer opened and maintains his/her trading account. Saxo News & Research does not contain (and should not be construed as containing) financial, investment, tax or trading advice or advice of any sort offered, recommended or endorsed by Saxo Bank Group and should not be construed as a record of our trading prices, or as an offer, incentive or solicitation for the subscription, sale or purchase in any financial instrument. To the extent that any content is construed as investment research, you must note and accept that the content was not intended to and has not been prepared in accordance with legal requirements designed to promote the independence of investment research and as such, would be considered as a marketing communication under relevant laws.

Please read our disclaimers:
- Notification on Non-Independent Investment Research (https://www.home.saxo/legal/niird/notification)
- Full disclaimer (https://www.home.saxo/en-gb/legal/disclaimer/saxo-disclaimer)