Saxo Bank announces 2017 results
Saxo Bank reports stronger profits as number of new clients for both direct and wholesale businesses reaches record highs.
Saxo Bank Group (“The Group”) reported a positive net profit of DKK 401 million for 2017, an increase of 33 per cent compared to 2016. Client collateral deposits continued to rise to DKK 103.6 billion while the operating income for the group was DKK 3.0 billion, a three per cent increase compared to 2016.
Saxo Bank Group continued to strengthen its capital position with the total capital ratio for the Group reaching 22.7 per cent as of the end of 2017 compared to 19.5 per cent at the end of 2016, thus retaining a comfortable buffer.
2017 Key figures at a glance (2016)
- Operating income: DKK 3.0 billion (DKK 2.9 billion)
- EBITDA: (profit):DKK 931.6 million (DKK 845 million)
- Adjusted EBITDA*: DKK 1.0 billion (DKK 954.5 million)
- Net profit: DKK 401.1 million (DKK 302.4 million)
- Client collateral deposits: DKK 103.6 billion (DKK 92.3 billion)
- Total equity: DKK 4.6 billion (DKK 4.2 billion)
*EBITDA adjusted for income and expenses that are not considered to be recurring and have significant impact on the Group’s net profit.
Commenting on the results, Kim Fournais, CEO and co-founder of Saxo Bank, said:
- The 2017 results are further evidence of the strength of Saxo Bank’s scalable business model as a fintech and regtech specialist focused on multi-asset trading and investment for direct clients as well as delivering ‘Banking-as-a-Service’ to wholesale clients. Despite low market volatility, Saxo has attracted record numbers of new direct and wholesale clients. A new high in client collateral deposits is a further testament to Saxo Bank’s multi asset offering which enables clients to trade in all market cycles.
- With a strong capital base we will continue to invest in and improve our client experience and technology to enable us stay at the forefront of client focused digitisation.
The results confirm that Saxo Bank is on the right path and we will continue to prioritise the ongoing development of best in class technology to ensure our clients and partners benefit from the best trading experience with regards to product, platform, price and service.
In February 2018 Saxo Bank announced the sale of its subsidiary Saxo Privatbank, a fully licensed retail bank with branches across Denmark to Alm. Brand, a Danish financial services group operating within non-life insurance, banking and life and pension insurance. Simultaneously Saxo will enter into a white label partnership with Alm. Brand Bank enabling clients to trade and invest in stocks, bonds, ETFs and mutual funds through Saxo’s award winning platform SaxoTraderGO.
In October 2017 it was announced that Geely Financials Denmark A/S, a subsidiary of Zhejiang Geely Holding Group Co., Ltd (“Geely Group”) offered to buy 51.5 per cent of the shares in Saxo Bank, with Sampo Group, a leading Nordic financial services group, taking a 19.9 percent in the bank. The transactions are pending regulatory approvals in their respective markets and are expected to be finalised in H1 2018.
Saxo Bank is a leading Fintech specialist and global multi-asset facilitator of capital markets products and services. Saxo enables private clients to trade more than 35,000 instruments from one single margin account.
Additionally, Saxo provides institutional clients such as banks and fintechs with Open Banking solutions from multi-asset execution, prime brokerage services to trading technology. Founded in 1992, Saxo Bank has embraced Open Banking from the beginning and is focused on helping clients and partners through win-win partnerships and product innovation.
Since launching its first online trading platform in 1998, Saxo Bank works to empower everyone to navigate their financial future by opening up access to trading and investment. The Saxo Group’s client assets total more than 45 billion euros, and the Group employs more than 2100 people in financial centres around the world including London, Singapore, Amsterdam, Shanghai, Hong Kong, Paris, Zurich, Dubai and Tokyo.For more information, please visit http://www.home.saxo.